Friday, June 6, 2008

Seemingly Impossible Climb (Chapter 5)

“Whoa... Totally awesome mountains!” Xion tilted his head back and stared wide-eyed at the enormous mountain range.
“They may be ‘totally awesome’ but they won’t be when we climb them.” I rolled my eyes. I wondered what kind of girl would love such an annoying boy like him.
“Let’s climb them!” he cried, jumping up.
“Wa-” I started to say, when he continued to go up instead of falling back to the ground. Forming under his feet were white fluffy clouds. He sat down and with little flicks of his fingers, he began to continue moving upwards.
Quickly, I levatated myself upwards until we were both moving at the same speed and at the same place. I sat down beside him on what seemed to be just air. Of course to me, it seemed as if there was a floor underneath me, despite the fact that there really wasn’t anything but my gift supporting me.
“You seem suprised.” Xion looked at me, a smirk forming on his face.
“Yes, I’m surprised. Not only that, I’m annoyed!” I replied, trying to remain calm.
“Why would you be annoyed?” His face melted into an innocent expression.
“Because I practically carried you the whole way through the forest!” I growled, clenching my teeth together.
“You did? Really? I never noticed...” I resisted the urge to push him off of his cloud. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and calmed myself. When I opened my eyes, I began to question him.
“So you’re a cloud shaper?”
“Yes. It’s not very useful on dry days.”
“What can you do with shaping clouds?”
“Um... Well, I know I can carry things with them and I can surround people with them. I can’t really use storm clouds quite yet, but I can use mist, fog, and other kinds of clouds.”
“Anything else?”
“Not really. What about your gift?”
“I use my mind to control things. I can levatate things and I can create illusions. But I can also read minds and talk to others with my mind. And finally, I can teleport if I've seen the place before.”
“Look!” I looked down. My head spun for a few moments as my brain slowly registered how high I was.
“Look at what?” I asked, squinting and peering downwards.
“Did you see it?” And then I saw it. There was a flash of light, almost as if someone had a mirror and was using it to reflect the sunlight.
“Yeah, I saw that!”
“Let’s go down!” I followed Xion as we slowly decended towards the source of the light. We arrived to see what seemed to be a hole in the air just starting to close.
“What’s that?!” Xion cried out in surprise.
“I’m guessing it’s a portal?” I said, unsure of what exactly it was myself.
“How about you two stop guessing and I explain it?” came a voice from behind us.

No comments: